The Bronx Parkway Commission was established in 1906 and was in charge of overseeing the construction of America's first public parkway. This collection of Bronx River Parkway maps document the lands that were acquired for the construction of the parkway. They include the names of previous land owners, as well as roads, lakes, railroads, and the location of the Bronx River itself.
The maps are numbered (Sheets 1-30) starting at the southern end of the parkway in the Bronx and continuing north until its terminus in Valhalla, NY. The Westchester County Archives holds records about the acquisition of the properties shown on these maps beginning with Sheet 5 (it does not hold records relating to the acquisition of properties in the Bronx). These acquisition records are organized in map and sheet order.
The map sheet and parcel numbers from the maps were often used to designate locations in the photographs taken on behalf of the Bronx Parkway Commission. This identifying information (when available) has been included in the catalog records for those photographs. Currently available online are twenty-two photograph albums by the Bronx Parkway Commission, as well as the Archives’ larger Bronx River Parkway Photograph Collection. Three other photograph collections in the Digital Collection – the John Gass Photograph Collection, the Parks Department Lantern Slides, and the Parks Commission Photograph Collection – also contain images of the Bronx River Parkway (including some taken of portions of the parkway in the Bronx). Sheet and parcel numbers, when available, have been included when cataloging these images as well.