Copyright and Image Use Statement
The Westchester County Archives' Digital Collections present materials for public use, research, and viewing for education and scholarship. However, although these materials are publicly accessible, and every effort has been made to select and present material in the public domain, some materials may be protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.).
The nature of these materials may make copyright difficult or impossible to determine. When known, information on permissions is noted. Transmission, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use under the copyright laws generally requires written permission of the copyright owner. Users must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use and have an obligation to determine and satisfy any copyright or other use restrictions when copying, publishing or otherwise distributing or using materials available through the Westchester County Archives' Digital Collections.
Please note: This website contains reference images only. If you wish to receive high quality copies of images for personal, educational, or commercial use, you must contact the Westchester County Archives for a "Permission to Reproduce Materials" form and information regarding our fee schedule.
Credit Line: Please carefully check each image, text, or other material for the appropriate credit line.
The Westchester County Archives is eager to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified so that appropriate information may be provided in the future.
For more general information on copyright and the use of Archival materials, please read the Society of American Archivists' brochure "Copyright and Unpublished Materials: An Introduction for Users of Archives and Manuscript Collections".
Privacy and Publicity Rights
Privacy and publicity rights reflect interests separate and distinct from copyright interests. Users of materials available through the Westchester County Archives' Digital Collections bear the responsibility to make individual determinations as to whether privacy and/or publicity rights are implicated by the nature of the materials and how they use such materials.
Conditions of Use
By their use of the materials included on the Westchester County Archives' Digital Collections, users agree to follow these conditions of use:
- All users have an obligation to determine whether their use of copyright-protected material may be prohibited or restricted, or may be available for fair use under copyright laws.
- All users have an obligation to determine whether their use of material may implicate privacy and/or publicity rights.
- For purposes of private study, scholarship and research, users may reproduce materials without prior permission. Please give proper attribution to the source when citing the materials.
- Materials may not be used for any commercial purpose without prior written permission from the Westchester County Archives and the copyright owner (if applicable).
- Materials may not be re-published in print or electronic form without prior written permission from the Westchester County Archives and the copyright owner (if applicable).
- Materials may not be mounted on an additional server for public use, or for use by a set of subscribers without prior written permission from the Westchester County Archives and the copyright owner (if applicable).